Friday, October 10, 2008

The Bungalow Store - Middletown/Little Italy

The Bungalow Store
Two or three years ago, I discovered this little shop on the North End of Little Italy while driving by. I think I must have passed it three or four times before I finally caught them open - their hours are limited, but the charming wares inside are worth seeking out. The name would seem to indicate they stock a lot of Arts and Crafts items, which they do have a few of - but their real focus is on early California, Rancho and Mexicana items.
The Bungalow Store
I am in love with the Rancho aesthetic - the style of indoor/outdoor living which presaged the modern Ranch house - and would give my left foot to own a Cliff May with an interior courtyard and wraparound porch. Alas, such is not my lot in life - but our home IS a modern Ranch, and it does sit on land that was a cattle ranch until the 50's - so I feel it is entirely appropriate for me to indulge my taste for a little Early California whimsy every now and again.
The Bungalow Store
I love their displays of small artworks, paintings, woodcuts and photos. Since Rocky's left me, I've picked up a few pieces here and there to hang on our walls - including a gorgeous woodcut I bought to congratulate myself on getting my current job. When I pointed it out to the owner and told him I wanted to buy it, I think he was genuinely sad to see it go.
The Bungalow Store
I half-heartedly collect California Pottery (I say half heartedly only because I have neither the space or money to go all-in) - I've picked up a few pieces on eBay here and there, and believe it or not at the Pannikin Bookworks in Del Mar. Here they have a nice selection of flower pots and garden items - two of the pots I bought here came from the Casa de Pico Motor Inn, back when the former location of the Bazaar del Mundo in Old Town was still a hotel.
The Bungalow Store
In fact, they now have some of the towels from the former hotel on sale for $10.00 apiece. A small price to pay for a piece of San Diego history, don't you think?
The Bungalow Store
I have to laugh every time I see this mannequin hand being used as a paperweight on their desk.
The Bungalow Store
On my last visit, I was torn about this tray. I like it, but I'm not sure where I would put it. What do you think? Yay or nay?
The Bungalow Store
I bought this Mexican feather art framed bird - for only $10.00. It needs a little cleaning up, then it will probably go up in the blue bathroom, assuming I can find a spot. Now that I'm looking at these photos though, I'm seeing things I didn't notice when I was in there. I may have to make a return trip soon!
The Bungalow Store

The Bungalow Store
2317 India St
San Diego, CA 92101
619.234.7383

Open Fridays and Saturdays 11-4, or call for an appointment

2 comments:

jora said...

You've been holding out on me! I MUST get to this place STAT.

Alice Q. Foodie said...

Yay! My first comment on the new blog! I should have known it would be you ;-) xoxo!